Happy New Year and Reflections!
We all made it too the finish line of another year.
We hope you’ve had a wonderful year of adventuring and racing. It’s been another great year for the USSMA as we continue to grow with the sport.
What we’ve been up to…
2017-2018 USSMA Accomplishments:
- Formal Board Creation
- Updated Colorado Incorporation
- 501c3 Non-Profit Tax Exempt Status Approved by IRS
- USOC Relationship Established
- USOC Compliant Bylaws Created and Adopted
- Membership and License Program
- New Website Launched
- Became the official ISMF US Member!!!
- Race Director Guidelines and Race Sanctioning Process Finalized and Implemented
- Youth Development Focus Kick Off – Camps and Development Programming
- 6th place at the 2017 ISMF World Championships – Team Podium, Cadet Bronze Medal, Largest US Team
- Pan American Championships – US Participation and Youth earned 2 qualifying spots to the 2020 YOG’s
- Formalized National Team – Revamped 18/19 Worlds Team Qualification Process
- 2018 ISMF Plenary Assembly participation
- Increased USSMA Committee participation – now includes 27 people!
- Athlete Advisory Committee Established
- Review and Approval of Strategic Plan
Where we’re heading…
Below is a summary of the approved USSMA Strategic Plan.
The United States Ski Mountaineering Association is committed to the sustained growth of the sport through competitive excellence.
The mission of the United States Ski Mountaineering Association (USSMA) shall be to promote and grow the sport of Ski Mountaineering Racing in the United States. The USSMA sanctions and governs competitive ski mountaineering racing in the US and promotes and fosters recreational ski mountaineering through access, resources, education and community. It also endeavors to enable United States athletes to achieve competitive excellence in the sport of ski mountaineering.
The USSMA is inspired by the following ideals in all sport contexts. Our values guide our behaviors.
Integrity through honesty and respect for fair play
Teamwork through coordinated effort to utilize individual capabilities
Tradition through respect for the history of the sport
Relationships through sustained personal interactions, competition, and social engagements
Spirit through embracing the ski mountaineering community through experiences
Strategic Focus (Goals & Objectives):
Each area has a number of associated goals and objectives.
- Governance – Position USSMA structure to run as a Non-Profit National Governing Body and become the Registered Sports Organization and future NGB of the US Olympic Committee.
- Financial Sustainability – Generate revenue and develop business in order to become fiscally stable and support the growth, sanctioning, and athletic competition initiatives. Increase annual gross revenue of USSMA.
- Grow the Sport – Program Development, awareness and recruitment; intro clinics for youth, female, adult combined.
- Increase Athletic Performance – Achieve consistent international competitive success and maintain and strengthen the depth of talent in the USA; Achieve sustained competitive excellence on the field of play; Build up athlete pool; advanced youth clinics & programs.
- The 2019 World Championships – March 9-16, 2019 in Villars sur Ollon, Switzerland. The USSMA has been gaining significant attention by its presence at World Cup Races, the 2017 World Championships and other International Races such as the Pierra Menta and Patroille de Glaciers. USSMA’s goal going into the 2019 World Championships is to run a fair qualifying process, provide the logistical coordination and support for athletes to succeed, improve upon our 6th place finish, and gain two more YOG’s spots!
- 2019 ISMF Plenary Assembly – Increased participation at the international level. As we continue growing our presence at the international level, we will become more involved and voice our opinions while working with the ISMF and other nations to grow the sport.
- 2020 Youth Olympic Games – In just over a year, skimo will take the international stage at the Youth Olympic Games in Switzerland. The USSMA will be working with the USOC over the next year to establish and implement a selection process. The US will be represented and the USSMA looks forward to the experience and focus on youth.
Thank you to everyone for your support! Here’s looking forward to an amazing 2019!
~ USSMA ~