May 31 Update – Lot’s going on!
Youth Olympic Games – Selection Procedures:
Ski Mountaineering Racing will be participating in the Youth Olympic Games in Switzerland, in January 2020! USSMA solicited interest to assist and formed a committee to organize the US Team. The committee consists of coaches, athletes, USSMA directors and parents of athletes, all focused on organizing a fair and effective process for selecting athletes and staff to represent Skimo Team USA in January. The committee is working closely with the USOC in the entire organization of selecting and taking the team. The USSMA has earned the max number of athlete spots, which is 4 (2 female, 2 male). Participating athletes must be born between 2002-2003
If you or someone you know is interested in being a part of the team or the staff, please see the information posted on the USSMA website for YOG.
- Athletes – Announce Intentions to attend Selection Camps to the USSMA YOG Committee by emailing USSMA.YOGC@gmail.comREGISTRATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY August 15th, 2019.
- Staff – Interested candidates must respond to the YOG committee by emailing USSMA.YOGC@gmail.com with a resume and cover letter presenting their experience and knowledge showing they meet the requirements. Candidates will have 1 week (7 days), from the date this email was sent, to respond to the USSMA YOG committee expressing interest to be considered.
Annual Summer Board Meeting:
The board will be meeting on June 9th this year to hold the annual board meeting. The meeting will review a recap of the season and discuss future strategies and goals. Portions of the meeting will be open to members, so if you’re interested in joining in, please reach out to email@example.com. There will also likely be open board and committee positions in the near future, so if would like to get more involved with the USSMA we’d love to have you. More info on USSMA Committees
2018/19 USSMA National Cup Series Results:
Cadet Female (15-17) – Grace Staberg
Cadet Male (15-17) – George Beck
Junior Female (18-20) – Morgan Fortin
Junior Male (18-20) – Max Bonenberger
Espoir Female (21-23) – Hailey Fortin
Espoir Male (21-23) – Garret Eggers
Senior Female (21+) – Jessie Young
Senior Male (21+) – Cam Smith
Maters Female (45+) – Christina Ward
Masters Male (45+) – Brian Johnson
FUNDRAISING! (Development, Fundraising, and Membership Committee):
There are so many great items, ideas, and initiatives throughout committees, but the limiting factor at the moment is still funding. HELP WANTED! We are still looking for someone with experience to take the Chair (lead). Over the last year, we made a fundraising push with the development of a presentation and list of possible companies to reach out to. However, talking with some folks, we realize this is going to take a larger effort by someone that knows fundraising and can put time into it. Do you know anyone with experience that would be willing to help? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you or someone you know is interested.
Athlete Advisory Committee:
The Athlete Advisory Committee (Michela Adrian, Jaime Brede, Eric Carter, Milan Kubula and Patrick Woods) would like to thank you for all of your formal and informal comments, questions and recommendations throughout the past year.
We have complied all of the feedback received to-date and listed the top-five leanings to recommend for the 2019-2020 season:
- Increase the number of on-course volunteers
- Improve race director communication with athletes – pre, during and post event
- Intensify the quantity, size and placement of course route-finding flags
- Enhance the quality of skin tracks and use double skin tracks, where appropriate
- Include more on and off snow events and activities during the race weekend
There is still time to get your comments in. As we look forward to making next year even better, we have a big favor to ask of you. Please kindly complete this SURVEY and/or reach out to us directly at USSMA.AAC@gmail.com to let us know your positive and negative experiences so that together, we can collectively improve our sport. To protect your privacy, submissions can be kept confidential and anonymous.